"you are only as happy as you make up your mind to be."

Thursday, June 30, 2011

on to the next


i have recently seen the previews to this movie and it looks great. a co-worker of mine said the book is amazing. so now that i have turned into a bookworm, i am now beginning this book tonight. i seriously need to join a book club. i hadn't realized how much i missed reading. i use to always read pre-kid. then, well, there isnt much time to read while raising a baby and working. i love that i can now sit down and read a book. an actual book. its so relaxing and with the way my year has started off, i find that reading is a healthy escape for my mind. even with the day to day life, i managed to get through the last book in only a couple days. 

this book takes place in the 1960's. location is Jackson, Mississippi. it is a tell-all book about what its really like to be a black maid in the white homes of the south. i remember learning about this era in school and thinking how wrong this was. it blows my mind that not too long ago people were so prejudice over a skin color. who cares what color a person is, its the inside that matters most. i couldn't imagine growing up and being mean to the next person just because they were African American. the whole not being able to use the same facilities as whites, is just ridiculous. I'm glad that this country has moved on from this [well almost completely]. when i see/hear about people that still have this mindset that whites are better then others, it makes me sick! i dont care if my best friend is purple... i would love them just the same :)

i have a feeling this book is gonna be a tear jerker.
tissues are on hand.

cant wait to dive in, but one question, is it just me or do other people find that the first 10 pages of a book are the hardest?! meaning the whole "getting into the book" takes more then just the first page. once im past that, i cant stop and when i have to stop, i cant wait to continue on.

always looking for suggestions on new books please :)

2 comments:

  1. I saw the previews to that movie too and it looks so good! Maybe we need to have a movie date and go see it! =) I am reading "I know This Much is True" by Wally Lamb...I havent read a book since before I met Aaron! I just started mine a few weeks ago and cannot wait to finish!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i will totally see this movie with you :) ive gotta step up my reading on this one.. its 500+ pages. i wanna finish before i see it.

    ReplyDelete