"you are only as happy as you make up your mind to be."

Thursday, June 23, 2011

a clean house is a happy house?!

today was my first day off during summer with the kids. I'm fortunate enough to only have to work 3 days during the summer so that i can be with the kids! we can spend time together and do fun things. plus it makes for a 4 day weekend :) today though, i know i needed to devote my time to the house. back when money wasnt an issue we had a cleaning lady... boy do i miss her. the days i would come home after she had left were heaven :) the house twinkled and i didnt even have to lift a finger. with funds low, i knew we would have to cut this out of the budget and go back to cleaning on our own.

bathrooms and the kitchen floor are by far the worst jobs! they get the dirtiest and may i remind you i live with all boys =/ plus a damn dog that poops on the carpet EVEN though the back door is wide open!! he must love to hear me yell his name!! my husband was at work and i wanted him to be able to come home to a clean house, so bright and early i start the day. kitchen first so i dont have to look back. i did such a great job, i actually re-organized the cabinets and pantry. it totally calmed my OCD for the day. next, the boys room and lastly my own bedroom and bathroom. all while doing multiple loads of laundry and folding. i can do laundry all day but folding and putting away sucks. what gets me is the amount of laundry i have yet i can never find something to wear... [typical girl]. i only do mine and the boys. my husband does his own. is that weird? my co-worker was shocked. she said that since we are married i should also be doing his laundry. i mean i wouldnt mind, whats a couple more loads, but he never has asked or complained so i think how we do things works... MYOB please ;)


so after hours of cleaning, vacuuming, dusting, laundry, scrubbing, wiping, the house is finally clean. [i swear it never took the cleaners this long]. i light my bath and body works candles and sit back and relax just long enough for someone to mess it up. something about a clean house, just makes me feel good!  i don't care so much about a mess, just that the house is clean from dirt and what not. i can deal with a messy house, but a dirty house is different. i believe a used house is a happy house. whats a house that you cant enjoy yourself in?! that's what they make Lysol wipes for :) hopefully my cleaning lady will get worked back into the budget one of these days...

i guess my biggest issue about cleaning is that it wastes time that could have been spent with the kids or doing something fun. some say "a clean house is a sign of a wasted life!" but on the flipside some say "a clean house is a happy house!" which do you agree with?!

3 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with every thing you said in this post! I feel the EXACT same way. Our cleaning lady is out of the picture due to our lack of $$$ and having to clean a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house with a den/playroom while making breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, doing laundry, etc. is just not the business! I love me some Lysol wipes though! =) I am constantly picking up my messy house but like you said, an unsanitary house is different! I need the cleaning lady BACK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute post! I was smiling big time as I read this, thinking you were me many years ago, including the little dog that doesn't understand he goes to the bathroom outside, NOT in the bathroom. :/ Bookmarking your blog and will add it to my list of blogs I read. :) take care.. Linda.

    www.nothymetocookblog.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. My house is clean. I feel 'off' when it isn't, just the way I roll, I s'pose. But, I believe there is a balance. My brother is psycho-neat. Everything must be perfect in his house, and I really feel sorry for his daughter.

    I think I've found a healthy balance. I have a list of weekly chores, each one takes a half hour or less and is scheduled for Monday-Friday, the same for my kids. Saturday, I do things that didn't get done during the week or nothing at all. Cleaning isn't all I do, but I do enough of it that I'm not embarrassed when I have unexpected guests.

    ReplyDelete